The University of Nebraska Office Professionals Association (UNOPA) is excited to be part of an established program that encourages the continuing education of educational office professionals. Through this Professional Standards Program (PSP), members who have attained accomplishments based on education, experience, and professional activity are recognized. The PSP is a voluntary program established by our parent organization, the National Association of Educational Office Professionals (NAEOP) at the NAEOP Annual Convention on July 21, 1956 in Los Angeles, Calif.
The PSP is a multilevel certification program. Successful completion of a NAEOP approved program qualifies the member for one or more Professional Standards Program certificates. The first 41 certificates were awarded in Pennsylvania in 1957. Since its adoption, more than 15,000 PSP certificates have been awarded.
The Certified Educational Office Employee (CEOE) distinction was approved in 1980. Since then, more than 3,000 CEOE certificates have been awarded. Application for this distinction may be made after receipt of a qualifying level Professional Standards Program certification.
The PSP Recertification Program became effective in May 2002 to enhance and maintain the integrity of the PSP through recognizing the continuing education and professional growth of NAEOP members.
UNOPA PSP Recipients:
- Barbara Homer (Criminal Justice)
- Sandy Lineberry (Nebraska Forest Service)
- Linda Pence (Registration and Records)
- Jean Williss (University Libraries)
- Tricia Liedle (Water Center)
Advanced III and CEOE:
- Jeanne Andelt (Nebraska Forest Service)
- Kathy Bennetch (Agricultural Leadership, Education & Communication)
- Carol Bom (Nebraska Department of Education)
- Lynn DeShon (Environmental Health & Safety)
- Jeanette Fisher (Facilities Management & Planning)
- Mary Guest (Student Affairs)
- Shirley Horstman (Research Compliance Services)
- Betty James (Agricultural Leadership, Education & Communication)
- LaRita Lang (Computer Science & Engineering)
- Linda Luedtke (Hixson-Lied Fine & Performing Arts)
- Sheila Perry (Nebraska East Union)
- Diane Wasser (Agricultural Economics)
- Sandy Watmore (Residence Life Services/Harper-Schramm-Smith)
- Carol Wusk (College of Agricultural Sciences & Natural Resources)
- Lola Young (Residence Life Services/Cather-Pound-Neihardt)
Associate Degree and CEOE:
- Christine Cary, Graduate Studies
- Tonda Humphress (Student Affairs)
Bachelor's Degree and CEOE:
- Debbie Hendricks (Student Affairs)
- Cynthia Knight (Institutional Research & Planning)
- Cathy Robertson (Athletics)
- Doreen Wagenaar (Art & Art History)
- Gretchen Walker (Center for Great Plains Studies)
Master's Degree and CEOE:
- Pat Hust (Center for Science, Mathematics & Computer Education)
- Lorraine Moon (Office of Sponsored Programs)
- Edie Schleiger (Admissions)
University of Nebraska PSP Stipend Committee
In 1998, UNOPA PSP recipients formed the PSP Committee to create an endowment fund to recognize UNOPA members who earn PSP certificates. In November 1999, 17 active members were honored for earning their PSP certificates. In April 2000, six retirees were honored for having earned their PSP certificates. The second annual stipends were awarded to 15 members in November 2000.
To achieve stipend recognition through the PSP Committee, the applicant must be a member at the local, state, and national levels and must meet the following criteria.
- Recipients must be a member of UNOPA for the past three consecutive years.
- Recipients must be regular employees of UNL with a minimum of .50 FTE.
- Recipients must actively participate in PSP Committee activities and a minimum of two PSP Endowment fundraising activities per year, unless otherwise decided by the PSP Committee.
- PSP recipients will annually complete an application form to request stipends. The deadline for this application is September 15.
- PSP Committee will annually determine dollar amount of stipends based on the expendable funds available in PSP Endowment Fund. The stipends will increase incrementally based on level of certificate.
- Stipends continue to be awarded annually at a regular UNOPA meeting.
Questions? If you have additional questions about the University of Nebraska Professional Standards Program, contact Mary Guest at 472-3755.
Donations to the University of Nebraska PSP Endowment Fund may be sent to:
Jeanne Andelt, Chair
103AB Entomology Hall
University of Nebraska
Lincoln, NE 68583-0815
Donations are tax deductible. Make checks payable to "University of Nebraska Foundation."